Tuesday, March 6, 2012

My perfect Meal

     I was picturing in my head the idea of my perfect meal last week. Not much actually : A French Baguette and some cheese. Unfortunately, this was not going to happen in Kalamazoo. Authenticity – not an exquisite meal- was what I was currently missing. This quest for the perfect meal just reminded all the more how much I missed real food. On campus, I do not have a home garden filled with tomatoes, cucumbers, carotts, zucchinis, eggplants salads or herbs and spices such as basil, thyme or parsley just like I have at home. Nor do I have a cherry or peach tree. Therefore, what I needed to find were organic fresh ingredients. I figured I just skipped meat or fish, I wanted to go back to the basics. I was actually craving a real green salad and real fruit salad as a dessert. This idea of such a meal -supposedly perfect- will never occured to me back home, however, after six months of unhealthy oil fat food, a break was more than welcomed. Another reason was that for once, I will not be wondering the quantity of corn that I was eating or the amount of antibiotics that was contained in my food. I am in peace with myself on the fact that I knew all this before coming in the US and yet I still came. If I have a third arm growing someday in the future, I know where this comes from. Fruits and vegetables are what I eat everyday at home. Hopefully, my stomach still does remember this.

     Another reason is that this past week has been rough. I needed a break. When I am irritated, I need two things : be alone and classical music. Therefore, I was going to have diner by myself, which did not happen in a long time. Even the experience of going shopping made me realized that I needed to get out of campus more often. Being alone was revitalizing. I learned about the food market in Kalamazoo but I wasn't sure how to get there. Buying local would have been a good start for my redemption, but that did not happen. Instead, I went to Meijer's with my list in mind : Organic food, fresh food, fruits and vegetables.
I bought organic baby greens and organic red and green pears. The nectarines, strawberries, tomatoes as well as the cucumber that I ended up buying were not organic. I changed my mind when I saw the organic prices. I am willing to eat organic food, but not by trippling my budget (and yes, I was missing my home garden). A $23.80 total was more than enough for a single person meal.

      I did not spend five hours fixing my meal. Washing, pealing, cutting, slicing the fruits, squizzing the orange was what I needed to do for my fruit salad to be ready. Then, I started with the dressing ( olive oil , balsamic vinegar, pepper) for my green salad. I washed all my items, I put the baby greens in the bowl, slicced the tomatoes and add them in. I peeled, sliced the cucumber and add the slices in. By the time I was done, the Nocturne Op .9 N°2 from Chopin as well as Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14 in C♯ minor were done playing. When my meal was ready, I put Albinoni's Adagio in G minor for violin, strings and organ continuo as a background sound and I started eating. The salad was quite good. I never thought I would say this but I was missing meat. Chiken slices would have been welcomed. The cucumber was firm and tasty. Tomatoes were not juicy enough though. By the time the music was over , it was almost time for my fruit salad and my green tea. The strawberries and nectarines were sweet and juicy, the pears were a little hard but better than expected for off-seasonned products. ( Thankfully, I did not write this on my list, but going back on this point, I should have taken this into account) The juice squeezed from the orange was better than the minutmaid orange juice I am drinking every morning at the cafetaria.

      I once wrote that eating is a relaxing, enjoyed and sacred experience. One do not rush, one slowly eat and appreciate the food. I do not take the time to eat anymore, I became Americanized, always running, in a hurry, always rushing somewhere else. After months in the US, my motto «  Take the time to enjoy time » is almost gone. While eating slowly, TheFlower Duet by Léo Delibes was playing. I was in the same environnment as everyday, but I somehow lost track of time. Nor was I here, neither in France, I was suspended somewhere in time with my modest but nonetheless tasty meal and classical music. Vivaldi'Spring was playing when I came back on earth. By fruit bowl was regardless empty. My cup filled with green tea was empty on Chopin's Prelude Op.28 No 4.

     I must admit, it was the easiest meal ever, but the best one I had for a long time. Sometimes, simpleness can be good. The perfect meal is never completely perfect. On which criterion could you say a meal is perfect anyway ? By definition, nothing is perfect, however, I was actually eating someting that tasted like a real salad and plain real fruits. It was not canned fruits or bleached salad. Nor was it roquefort, foie gras or a fancy French meal. Do not get me wrong, I am still drooling over those things. But this mere meal was exactly what I needed. It did not even last an entire evening, but this hideaway was beneficial for me. It was my own moment, the calm before the storm. My escape in time. For all those reasons, my meal was striving to perfection to me.


PS : While finishing typing this piece, accompagnied by the Symphony #40K. 550 in G minor by Mozart, I am telling myself that I should really do this more often.















  

12 comments:

  1. I love your exploration of "perfection" and your placement of it in the piece. You really answer every question that might be raised in the reader's mind here and you evoke the experience of the evening beautifully. Glad you took the opportunity to create a much-needed experience for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    I love you French humor haha! Is so funny how you complain about the food. This makes me want to continue reading it! I think this piece is really balanced, as well. You described what means a perfect meal to you, but at the same time you talked about the food. I would like to know if this meal accomplished your expectations and how different was from French food haha. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the sentence about the third arm, I found it to be hilarious. I also really enjoyed your reflection about the idea of "perfection." It sounds like your meal provided you with the relaxation you needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this idea about going back to the basics and how you opened the piece by sharing what you really were craving, and then what you could accomplish here in Kalamazoo. I also love your humorous approach and how open-minded you are going into this. I liked that you took a different approach than we have seen so far, focusing on simplicity and slowing down to "take time to enjoy time." I'm glad you got your break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was completely able to connect with your piece and relate to the need to take time for yourself and be alone. I liked that you were still able to enjoy the meal, even with it's flaws and your underlying idea of perfection was there the whole time. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really loved how the changing of songs carried the progression of the meal, that was such a nice way to artfully lapse everything that was going on. I also love how simple this is... it wasn't hard to read, or grasp, or relate to, and you use the experience to channel some broader conflicts and feelings that you have in your life right now. I think it is a very artful piece and was very enjoyable to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you took a different approach to your meal by choosing a salad; sometimes we forget how simple a meal can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that you took a different approach to this assignment than most of the class did. I was feeling stress so I decided to surround myself with people but you chose to go for some silence. Silence can be great and I´m glad you went for your idea of the perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This meal sounded very classy, relaxing, and peaceful. Your concept of a perfect meal was very different than mine, and I enjoyed reading about it a lot. Also, the links to music added a nice touch--you're definitely utilizing the new media format of our blogs perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading this piece Julie and like Marin said, you did a great job addressing all the issues that readers may have questions about. It was clear easy to ready and convincing, i could tell that it really meant a lot to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the conflict more than anything else, and the piece was easy to empathize with. I couldn't decide if the inclusion of the music was assisting my experience or distracting from it. I have been hearing a lot of your distaste for "American" cuisine throughout the class and I feel like you open up here more than in any other piece, so I almost want to hear your experiences with the food you have been eating in greater depth, to connect me more to your perfect meal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with Andres, we always overlook simple meals. With that, I loved how your piece had a refreshing quality to it. It wasn't extravagant but just pleasant and perfect. I also loved the way that you incorporated the pieces of classical music throughout. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete